[llvm-dev] Metadata in LLVM back-end

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 4 08:40:35 PST 2020

Sorry about the late reply.

Lorenzo Casalino <lorenzo.casalino93 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Probably, such estimation should be performed on
>>
>> Did something get cut off here?
>
> Uops. Yep, I removed a paragraph, but, apparentely I forgot the first
> period. In any case, we should discuss about how to quantitatively
> determine an acceptable upper-bound on the overhead on the compilation
> time and give a motivation for it. For instance, max n% overhead on the
> compilation time must be guaranteed, because ** list of reasons **.

I am not sure how we'd arrive at such a number or motivate/defend it.
Do we have any sense of the impact of the existing metadata
infrastructure?  If not I'm not sure we can do it for something
completely new.  I think we can set a goal but we'd have to revise it as
we gain experience.

>> Since you initially raised the topic, do you want to take the lead in
>> writing up a RFC?  I can certainly do it too but I want to give you
>> right of first refusal.  :)
>>                    -David
>
> Uhm...actually, it wasn't me but Son Tuan, so the right of refusal
> should be granted to him :) And I noticed now that he wasn't included in
> CC of all our mails; I hope he was able to follow our discussion
> anyways. I am adding him in this mail and let us wait if he has any
> critical feature or point to discuss.

Fair enough!  I have recently taken on a lot more work so unfortunately
I can't devote a lot of time to this at the moment.  I've got to clear
out my pipeline first.  I'd be very happy to help review text, etc.

                -David