[llvm-dev] Policy on support tiers, take 2

Geoffrey Martin-Noble via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 2 12:27:16 PST 2020

I'm not super familiar with all the various subprojects, but I'd be a
little hesitant to put e.g. libc and flang in the same category as vim
bindings or the gn build :-D I think I've had failing pre-merge checks from
both flang and polly before, so at least in practice they don't seem to be
following the guidelines you mention here. I don't know whether this means
that they should just be moved up to tier 1, or whether they are actually
less-supported than some of the more established projects. If their current
behavior should change, then that seems like a bigger discussion.

I also think it might be better to make this focus specifically on the
monorepo. Incubator projects already have a clear policy and a lot of the
fine points here only make sense in the context of the monorepo. e.g. bots
with blamelists targeting only a subcommunity doesn't make much sense for a
separate repo. If you committed the the mlir-npcomp repo I think you should
get notified if you broke something :-D

Apologies if the below falls into the category of "writing", but here are
some additional thoughts:

I also think that the distinction we previously had with tier 2 vs tier 3
was useful in terms of differentiating things that need quite a bit of
promised support to be allowed in the monorepo because they're bigger, more
complicated, and require constant maintenance (e.g build systems) vs things
that can be checked in without much discussion because they are small,
simple, and degrade gracefully (e.g. editor bindings). Maybe separate tiers
isn't the right way to do that, but I think we should make that distinction
clear. Like if someone wants to check in bindings for their editor of
choice, a simple patch seems appropriate, whereas if someone
(hypothetically ;-P) wants to propose a secondary build system it should at
least be discussed on the mailing list. Maybe we can just include language
in the description of tier 2, like:

When adding components intending for tier 2 status, the level of discussion
and support commitment required is proportional to the size and complexity
of the component. For example:
1. editor bindings can be just be added as a patch following the normal
review process
2. more complex components like a secondary build system should start as an
RFC that details how this component will be supported
3. Experimental backends have an entire section on their introduction (link)