[llvm-dev] LLVM installer on Windows 10 64bit (and possibly others) claims to add self to path environment variable and to create a desktop shortcut but does neither.

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 2 04:28:46 PST 2020

Sorry for the late reply.

I just tried the 11.0.0 64-bit installer, and the option to add LLVM
to PATH does work for me.

I know that the install system we use (NSIS) has problems when the
existing PATH is long though. I believe it supports up to a maximum of
8192 characters. Could it be that you have a PATH which is longer than
this, and it doesn't work for this reason?

Regarding the desktop shortcut, I think the installer provides that
option because of how it's generated (NSIS installer generated by
CMake). The option doesn't really make sense since there's no useful
program to provide a shortcut to (which I guess is why it doesn't
work), but I haven't been able to find a way to remove that checkbox.

(If you're curious, this is where the installer gets configured:
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/llvmorg-11.0.0/llvm/CMakeLists.txt#L230)

Thanks,
Hans