[llvm-dev] Question: llvm-link type merge behaviour of c++ classes

Alex Denisov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 31 05:08:44 PDT 2020

Hi Björn,

I’m not particularly knowledgeable about the implementation of the llvm-link, but my guess is that the merging is intended there.
I had a very similar problem recently: basically the loss of information caused by IRLinker (the implementation behind llvm-link). I tried to dig into it to find if it’s possible to change the behavior, but stuck pretty quickly since the code there is not very intuitive (IMHO, of course).

I recall reading somewhere that the intention to merge structurally equivalent types was to get rid of “duplicated” types, i.e.:

You have a module A and a module B, both include a header with the same type resulting in the following bitcode:

; Module A
%struct.Shape = type { … }

; Module B
%struct.Shape = type { … }

However, when the modules are loaded in the same LLVM context you will see something like this:

; Module A
%struct.Shape = type { … }

; Module B
%struct.Shape.1 = type { … }

So in the end if you link them together you'll get:

; Module A+B merged
%struct.Shape = type { … }

Which is desired.
What is not desired, IMO, is the situation that you describe, i.e.: “different” types being merged regardless of their name.

So, in the end we decided not to use IRLinker at all and merge the types on our own, you can read more on the approach here: https://lowlevelbits.org/type-equality-in-llvm/

I’m not sure if that helps at all, but you are definitely not the only one out there who is confused by the implementation :)