[llvm-dev] Range lists, zero-length functions, linker gc

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 28 15:55:20 PDT 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 6:03 AM Alexey Lapshin <alapshin at accesssoftek.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> function is the
> > start of the section, and the end is "start of function + length of
> function (aka addend)".
>
> >  Usually any relocation to the section would keep that section "alive"
> during linking -
> > but that would cause debug info to defeat linker GC and deduplication.
> So there's
> > special rules for how linkers handle these relocations in debug info to
> allow the
> > sections to be dropped - what do you write in the bytes that requested
> the relocation?
>
> > Binutils ld: Special cases only debug_ranges, resolving all relocations
> to dead
> > code to 1. In other debug sections, these values are all resolved to
> zero.
> > Gold and lld: Special cases all debug info sections - resolving all
> relocations
> > to "addend" (so begin usually goes to zero, end goes to "size of
> function")
>
> > These special rules are designed to ensure omitted/gc'd/deduplicated
> functions
> > don't cause the range list to terminate prematurely (which would happen
> if begin/end
> > were both resolved to zero).
>
> >But with an empty function, gold and lld's strategy here fails to avoid
> terminating a
> >range list by accident.
>
> > What should we do about it?
>
> >  1) Ensure no zero-length functions exist? (doesn't address backwards
> > compatibility/existing functions/other compilers)
> > 2) adopt the binutils approach to this (at least in debug_ranges - maybe
> in all
> > debug sections? (doing it in other sections could break )
> >  3) Revisit the discussion about using an even more 'blessed' value,
> > like int max-1? ( https://reviews.llvm.org/D59553 )
>
> >  (I don't have links to all the recent threads about this discussion - I
> think D59553
> > might've spawned a separate broader discussion/non-review - oh, Alexey
> wrote a
> > good summary with links to other discussions here:
> >  http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-September/135068.html )
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> I think for the problem of "zero length functions and .debug_ranges"
> binutils approach looks good:
>
> >Special cases only debug_ranges, resolving all relocations to
> >dead code to 1. In other debug sections, these values are all resolved to
> >zero.
>
> But, this would not completely solve the problem from
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D59553 - Overlapped address ranges. Binutils
> approach will solve the problem if the address range specified as
> start_address:end_address. While resolving relocations, it would replace
> such a range with 1:1.
> However, It would not work if address ranges were specified as
> start_address:length since the length is not relocated.

This case could be additionally fixed by fast scan debug_info for High_PC
> defined as length and changing it to 1. Something which you suggested here:
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-May/141599.html.

Hmm, I don't /think/ I intended to suggest anything that would have to
parse all the debug_info, even if just to fixup high_pc. I meant that
debug_rnglist for the CU at least (rnglist has fewer problems - you can't
accidentally terminate it early, but still has the "large functions in
programs that use relatively low code addresses can't just be resolved to
"addend" because then [0, length) of the large function might overlap into
that code address range") could be modified by a DWARF-aware linker to
remove the unused chunks. The DWARF that describes a specific function
using low_pc/high_pc - it may be split into a .dwo file and unreachable by
the linker - so it /needs/ a magic value for the address referenced by the
low_pc to indicate that it is invalid.

Which all comes back to "we probably need to pick a value that's explicitly
invalid" and -2 (max - 1) seems to be about the right thing.

> So it looks like following solution could fix both problems and be
> relatively fast:
>
> "Resolve all relocations from debug sections into dead code to 1. Parse
> debug sections and replace HighPc of an address range pointing to dead code
> and specified as length to 1".

That second part seems pretty expensive compared to anything else the
linker is doing with debug info. I'd try to avoid it if at all possible.

> As the result all address ranges pointing into dead code would be marked
> as zero length.
>
> There still exist another problem:
>
> DWARF4: "A range list entry (but not a base address selection or end of
> list entry) whose beginning and
> ending addresses are equal has no effect because the size of the range
> covered by such an
> entry is zero."
>
> DWARF5: "A bounded range entry whose beginning and ending address offsets
> are equal
> (including zero) indicates an empty range and may be ignored."
>
> These rules allow us to ignore zero-length address ranges. I.e., some tool
> reading DWARF is permitted to ignore related DWARF entries.

I agree it allows consumers to ignore that entry in the range list because
that entry is zero-length/equivalent to not being present at all - I don't
think that means consumers can ignore the DIE that refers to this range
list. I think it's valid DWARF to have a CU that only describes types,
without any code attached to it at all. Or for a subprogram that's been
eliminated to still be used by a consumer for name lookup purposes - so the
consumer can tell the user there is a function called "f1" and tell the
user what parameter types, return type it has, etc - not ignore it entirely.

> In that case, there could be ignored essential descriptions. That problem
> could happen with -flto=thin example
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D54747#1503720 . In this example, all type
> definitions except one were replaced with declarations by thinlto. The
> definition, which was left, is in a piece of debug info related to deleted
> code. According to zero-length rule, that definition could be ignored, and
> finally, incomplete debug info could be used.

Yeah, I think the bug there is the linker dropping object files just
because they have no exxecutable code in them - I think the patch that did
that was reverted, if I'm remembering correctly.