[llvm-dev] Implications of Module SourceFileName

Rarrum via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 26 12:14:39 PDT 2020

There's currently a 1-1 mapping between my language's concept of a module
and an llvm module.  This language doesn't have a concept of forward
declarations or header files.  One of the early steps of the compiler is to
search across all of the module files and figure out what types are
available, so that we can resolve them later without depending on
declaration order.  This does mean that all of the files that make up a
language module do need to be compiled together.  The end result is an llvm
module where almost everything has internal linkage, except for a few
things that are specifically defined to be exported.