[llvm-dev] New LLVM backend for Renesas RL78 MCU

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 26 10:33:39 PDT 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM Sebastian Perta <
Sebastian.Perta at renesas.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> Thank for very much for your reply!
>

> I got a reply on the clang mailing list in April from Dmitri:
>
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2020-April/065115.html
>
> and following his advice “attaching pragmas as attributes to functions” I
> managed to do it, it was actually quite easy.

Oh, great - glad you got some traction! (I was just replying as sort of a
last-resort, none of this is really my wheelhouse)

>  >>Compatibility with an existing compiler is usually compelling - are
> the compilers you're trying to be compatible with publicly
> available/documented?
>
> Yes the compiler can be downloaded from here (is available for free with
> some restrictions compared to the paid version).
>

> https://www.renesas.com/in/en/products/software-tools/tools/compiler-assembler/compiler-package-for-rl78-family.html
>
> The documentation is available as well (in toolchain installer and
> website):
>

> https://www.renesas.com/in/en/doc/products/tool/doc/015/r20ut3123ej0109-ccrl.pdf
>

> >>The other aspect to new features, targets, etc, is the ongoing support -
> might be relevant to know a bit more about you/your users, whether there
> are other folks who are likely to maintain this work if you stop being
> involved at some point, etc.
>
> Sure, no problem!
>
> About me: https://ro.linkedin.com/in/sebastian-perta-46a4383b
>
> Currently I have no intentions of stop being involved in this for a very
> long time. The only way this can happen is if I decide to leave Renesas in
> which case I’m sure the company will be interested to find a replacement.

Ah, so this is a commercially backed project? But relatively small? (are
you the only engineer working on this?)

> About the users: those are embedded engineers in automotive, IOT, domestic
> appliances, etc.
>
> Anything else you would like to know?

It's never a clear-cut thing and I don't mean to pry (there's a weird
balance between having some context for why these things are being worked
on, how likely they are to continue to be invested in, etc - versus
accepting that companies have their own priorities, some private
objectives, etc).

- Dave