[llvm-dev] RFC: Add DWARF support for yaml2obj

Xing GUO via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 20 06:38:00 PDT 2020

Hi folks,

I am going to implement DWARF support for yaml2obj. I really
appreciate it that many of you have given me a lot of useful comments
and suggestions in the previous thread [1]. I've had some offline
discussions with James and done some updates to the previous proposal.

This proposal addresses the issue of properly describing the DWARF
sections in YAML both at a high level and at a low level. We add some
extra value types (Tag/Value/Address/String) in the "debug_info"
entry, which helps describe the DWARF sections at a high level by
providing the logical structure of the DIEs. "yaml2obj" will traverse
these DIEs and emit other debug sections properly. We are also able to
hand-craft debug sections at a low level by hardcoding the contents,
offsets, values, etc.

Here's the proposal [2] which gives a brief introduction to the DWARF
YAML. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance!

[1] https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-March/140518.html
[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/13wNr4JbXtzaOly-UsFt7vxI3LKXzik_lVU58ICqslWM/edit?usp=sharing

--
Cheers,