[llvm-dev] LV: predication

Simon Moll via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 20 01:52:47 PDT 2020

On 5/19/20 5:22 PM, Sjoerd Meijer wrote:
Invitation accepted, I am happy to help out with reviews, like I did with the previous VP patches.
That's great!

And of course agreed that things should be well defined, and that we shouldn't paint ourselves in a corner, but I don't think that this is the case. And it's not that I am in a rush, but I don't think this change needs to be predicated on a big change landing first like the LV switching to VP intrinsics.

> The difference is that in the VP version there is an explicit dependence of every vector operation in the loop to the set.num.elements intrinsic. This dependence is obscured in the hwloop proposals (more on that below).

This discussion is getting complicated, because I think we are discussing 3 topics at the same time now: predication, hardware loops, and a new set of intrinsics, the VP intrinsics.
Ok. My questions (the example at the end) was asking whether hwloops imply predication (and by that i mean logically - if the hwloop implies that a SIMD instruction may not execute for all lanes in the tail then that is predication as well).
For the change that kicked off this thread, i.e. 1 new intrinsic to get the active lanes, I think we can eliminate the hardware loops from this story. For us, that is just the context of this, and so I think we can just focus on predication. And if we only talk about predication, I think this new intrinsic can nicely coexist with the VP intrinsics.

And please note again I am not proposing a set.num.elements intrinsic. Well, I first kind of did, but again, abandoned that approach after push back. Correct me if I am wrong, but there's no difference in your example whether all instructions consume some predicate or only masked loads/stores:
Yes, and that is the point: it's about making the SIMD instructions dependent on the mask .. and all of them.

  vector.preheader:
    %init.evl = i32 llvm.hwloop.set.elements(%n)
  vector.body:
    %evl = phi 32 [%init.evl, %preheader, %next.evl, vector.body]
    %aval = call @llvm.vp.load(Aptr, .., %evl)
    call @llvm.vp.store(Bptr, %aval, ..., %evl)
    %next.evl = call i32 @llvm.hwloop.decrement(%evl)

No difference in that the problem remains that we have a random intrinsic sitting in the preheader describing a loop property that needs to be maintained.
The difference is that the intrinsic is connected to every SIMD instruction in the vector loop through data flow. It does not just sit there.. in fact it does not matter where it is placed as long as those def-use edges are visible to the hwloop transformation.

So, eliminating hardware loops and intrinsic that defines the number of elements produced, I am proposing

  vector.body:
    %mask = lvm.get.active.lane.mask (%IV, %BTC)
     .. = @llvm.masked.load(.., %mask)

where IV is the induction step, and BTC the backedge taken count.
This completely piggy backs on everything that is already there in the vectoriser, and nothing is fundamentally changed here. Now, this seems very generic, and doesn't seem to bite the VP intrinsics.
I see it the other way round: Right now you seem to have an implicit dependence from syntactically unmasked SIMD instructions (eg a regular SIMD sdiv) to the predicate of nearby masked intrinsics (masked.load) - that's on shaky grounds semantically. VP intrinsics already define a clean semantics for tail predication - so why not piggyback on that? You should define the hwloop support in a way that will not just peacefully coexist with VP but leverage it eventually. I'll continue in that direction in the review.

One specific request (since i got you attention now ;-) ): we need a (generic) IR primitive to express %lane_id < %n for scalable vector types to expand VP intrinsics for targets with SVE support but no tail predication.

Cheers,
Sjoerd.
- Simon