[llvm-dev] LLVM's loop unroller & llvm.loop.parallel_accesses

Hendrik Greving via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 19 07:23:05 PDT 2020

Skipping the clang question for now, this had to be a loop pragma of some
kind. One step back: what we really need is a way to express that memory
accesses between iterations can be re-ordered. The code that's being
compiled _is_ noalias, but we don't _have_ to use noalias semantics, e.g.
loop parallel semantics are sufficient. What's missing is a way to express
that past the llvm unroller. When the unroller merges iterations, loop
parallel no longer depicts the original iterations. So the obvious idea was
using noalias scope metadata for this, and llvm.loop.noalias_acccesses
would cause the unroller to propagate different scopes for each iteration.
Thinkable is also to keep the llvm.loop.parallel_accesses, and the unroller
propagates a new type of metadata analog to noalias scope, but
loop_parallel scope or something like that. We have methods to achieve this
with intrinsics, but I am looking for something more robust that also works
with clang.