[llvm-dev] Building A Project Against LLVM

Rarrum via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 16 00:07:12 PDT 2020

I've managed to get 10.0.0 working now.. there were a couple things I had
to adjust.

The Kaleidoscope example had me doing this before creating the object file:
llvm::InitializeAllTargetInfos();
llvm::InitializeAllTargets();
llvm::InitializeAllTargetMCs();
llvm::InitializeAllAsmParsers();
llvm::InitializeAllAsmPrinters();

It turns out I can get away with just this, since I'm not (yet) worried
about targeting other machines:
llvm::InitializeNativeTarget();
llvm::InitializeNativeTargetAsmPrinter();

Since "all" doesn't work anymore for some reason, I've managed to (through
trial and error, guessing at different names shown from llvm-config
--components) end up with this set of libnames:
llvm_map_components_to_libnames(llvm_libs core executionengine support
nativecodegen)

That left me with 2 link errors referring to llvm::raw_ostream and
llvm::raw_pwrite_stream.  After much more digging through similar
complaints on the internet.. the last fix turned out to be adding this to
CMakeLists.txt:
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -fno-rtti")

I am a little worried that the rtti flag may come back and bite me later
when I get around to building this on windows again (since I do use
exceptions), but that's a problem for another day.

One last question.. is there a good way to know which libnames I need,
based on which #includes I pull in or which classes I'm using?  I didn't
see anything obvious in the doxygen documentation.

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 8:57 PM Rarrum <rarrum at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> isolated from my primary desktop environment. Building a 20.04 VM after
>>> upgrading to 20.04 appears to give a faster VM. Use llvm's linker lld.
>>>
>>> The cmake version for 20.04 is 3.16.3 which should help with llvm's
>>> recommended version.
>>>

>> Do you believe the error listed have to do with the CMake version?
>>

>>> Neil
>>> On 5/15/20 12:05 AM, Rarrum via llvm-dev wrote:
>>>
>>> I decided to start playing around with building my own programming
>>> language recently, and to use LLVM to handle the assembly-level details.
>>> I'm on Kubuntu 18.04, and I started out using LLVM 6.0 from Kubuntu's
>>> packages.  I put together code for dealing with my language, then went over
>>> the Kaleidoscope tutorials (which have been extremely helpful btw!).  I was
>>> able to successfully get my own compiler to generate IR using LLVM, use
>>> PassManager to write that to a native .o file, use gcc to link that, and
>>> execute a tiny program written in my own language.
>>>
>>> I also decided it was a good time to learn CMake, so I set up my project
>>> using that.  The CMakeLists.txt file I'm using is essentially just taken
>>> from: https://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html#embedding-llvm-in-your-project -
>>> though originally it would not link.  From scouring the internet I made 2
>>> changes to get that working: replaced "support core irreader" with "all",
>>> and replaced "${llvm_libs}" with just "LLVM".
>>>
>>> However as I was starting to play with setting up JIT, I hit more
>>> differences between the version of LLVM in Kubuntu and the version the
>>> examples and documentation were written against.  So I decided to try to
>>> update to a newer version of LLVM.. and this is where I've been stuck for
>>> several days now.  Here are the steps I've taken:
>>>
>>> * Uninstalled any llvm packages I could find from Kubuntu's package
>>> manager.
>>> * Followed the getting started guide:
>>> https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html - I git cloned LLVM, checked
>>> out the 10.0.0 tag, ran cmake as instructed, with the Release type.  When
>>> that completed successfully I ran sudo ninja install.
>>> * I then went back to my project and adjusted a couple places to
>>> successfully compile against the new version.
>>> * At this point I put "${llvm_libs}" in the CMakeLists.txt file back to
>>> match the example.  However I was getting a massive wall of link errors.
>>> * I assumed I must have built LLVM incorrectly somehow, so in an effort
>>> to undo that install, I deleted everything I could find under /usr/local
>>> that had LLVM in its name, downloaded the 10.0 release from
>>> https://releases.llvm.org/download.html for ubuntu 18.04, and extracted
>>> that all to /usr/local.
>>> * I can still successfully compile, but not link.
>>>
>>> At this point I'm not sure what to try next.  Is there additional
>>> documentation somewhere for how to "install" a current release of LLVM
>>> correctly?
>>>

>>> For reference here's my final CMakeLists.txt file:

>>> set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED True)