[llvm-dev] Sanitizers + New Pass Manager

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 15 10:30:36 PDT 2020

On 5/15/20 11:07 AM, Arthur Eubanks via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM Evgenii Stepanov via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Sanitizer passes really should not run before the inliner. For example,
>> ASan moves all allocas into a "mega-alloca" to obtain fixed frame layout
>> for reporting purposes. It also inserts a fake stack check in the function
>> prologue which will get duplicated (but will probably still work) after
>> inlining.
>>
>> MSan removes readnone/readonly from all functions because they all update
>> shadow which is a memory write. Doing this early will suppress all kinds of
>> IPO.
>>
>> I think ASan (and probably MSan) does the same thing as TSan regarding
>> memory intrinsics because it needs the runtime library to be able to tell
>> which memcpy/memset calls are application logic (and therefore need to
>> check/update shadow) and which are compiler-inserted after sanitizer
>> instrumentation. Doing this too early suppresses some optimizations.
>>
>> It's probably OK to run the passes a little earlier (but not before
>> inlining), but I'd be careful to weigh the benefits of that against the
>> loss of performance. If the goal is to catch more bugs (specifically, any
>> undefined behavior that gets optimized out before instrumentation), I'd
>> rather do something in the frontend and in the IR passes suppress those
>> optimizations in sanitized functions.
>>
> I think I've seen some function attributes added when sanitizers are
> enabled, maybe we can use those to e.g. not strip lifetime intrinsics. I'll
> look into that.

I guess that is an option we have to see how invasive this would be.

I could imagine to use the `isDroppable` interface for this as we wanted

to include lifetime markers and other things in there anyway. Passes can

replace their explicit handling of lifetime markers for an `isDroppable`

check that is influenced by the function attributes.

Would it make sense to have an option that allows the user to modify

the sanitizer position, thus exposing the trade off to them?