[llvm-dev] [pre-merge testing] improvements + new Windows builds

Christian Kühnel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 11 08:03:06 PDT 2020

Hi folks,

After we launched the pre-merge testing for all users on Phabricator in
March [1],

we’ve been working on a few improvements we’re launching now. They have
been in

beta testing for a while.

Improvements

============

Here’s an overview of the changes, the details are described in the

user documentation [3]:

* Windows builds and tests were enabled for all users, using

  Visual Studio 2019.

* To save time and resources and hide unrelated failures, we’re only
building

  and testing the projects that were affected by changes to certain folders
in

  the monorepo.

* We also enabled more projects to give better test coverage.

* The builds are now split into 3 separate steps, visible to Phabricator:

  1. Apply the patch from Phabricator and store the result in a branch on

     GitHub [2]. This branch is then used in steps 2 and 3.

  2. Run the Linux builds and tests.

  3. Run the Windows builds and tests, in parallel to step 2.

What’s next?

============

Going forward we’re looking into replacing the (hidden, self-hosted)
Jenkins

build infrastructure with the (free, hosted) Buildkite [4] build
infrastructure.

This will give you more transparency on what your builds are doing and
allow

people to hook up other machines with architectures and operating systems
not

available on Google Cloud.

Raising issues

==============

In case you spot any problems or have any proposals, please create a new
issue

in our GitHub project [5], you can also find all sources and configuration

files there.

Best,

Christian and Mikhail

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-February/139513.html