[llvm-dev] How to force unused external routine declaration into object

John Reagan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 8 07:37:04 PDT 2020

Yes, a external declaration with no uses.  No calls to it.  No address
taken. Just the external declaration and I want it to say around and
make it into the ELF symbol table as an undefined external reference.

Our BLISS language behaves that way and we have code that relies on that
behavior as a way to get the linker to include a particular routine into
the final image.  On our other platforms, our old backend had to invent
a special attribute to indicate "you must put this in the ELF symbol
table regardless".

I can easily create a compiler-generated static and initialize it with
the address.  That will do what I want at the slight expense of a static
location (memory is cheap) and a relocation for the linker to process
(it is already doing a ton anyway, what's one more).  It isn't that
common so I'm not too worried.  I was just wondering if I was missing it.

Thanks