[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues [UPDATED]

Wyatt Childers via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 1 13:40:20 PDT 2020

I agree with everything said here, to me this seems like the most sane
option. It seems like this approach could also be tested at a smaller
scale if there are concerns about deleting a repo, to see if there is
any observable effect.

While I haven't performed this particular trick on Github, based on my
experience renaming and removing repositories, I wouldn't expect any
significant issue to occur here. It certainly seems less problematic to
me, than writing into existing issues (if any), and pull requests.

Using new issues, in a new repository not only has UI/UX benefits, but
also ensures bugs are accurately transferred to a neutral party
(presumably a bot account is going to be the creator of these issues).

I'm also going to add an additional concern/question I haven't seen
mentioned. Has there been any research done, or strategy picked that
would prevent those watching the llvm-project repository from getting
spammed with thousands of emails/notifications? Perhaps the llvm
organization has the ability to stop this, but smaller projects I've
seen move to github issues have generally sent dozens-hundreds of emails
in the process of importing their issues -- this seems notably
undesirable. (The "bait-and-switch" tactic might actually help here as
presumably the new repository could be hidden/unwatched until all issues
are imported)

Best,

Wyatt