[llvm-dev] [GSoC] Improve parallelism-aware analyses and optimizations

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 27 00:35:02 PDT 2020

On 3/25/20 5:59 PM, Nader Al Awar wrote:
 > Hi Johannes,
 >
 > Based on my understanding, we need a function that returns a set of
 > pointers to Functions that are either transitively called or call
 > other functions transitively. Is that correct?

Given a set of Functions F1,F2,..., collect all functions P1,P2,.., that
transitively call any F and all functions C1,C2,..., that are
transitively called by any F. We have the call graph to help us with
that!

 > Also, when you say that the computation of the ModuleSlice has to be
generic,
 > do you mean that the container of the Function pointers is generic?
As in it
 > could be a SetVector or SmallPtrSet?

No. What I meant is that we should have the logic in a separate helper
function we can reuse. It should not be tied to "OpenMP".

 > Or are you saying that the condition that decides whether a Function
belongs
 > to the returned slice is generic? If the condition is generic, I'm
 > guessing the best way to do that is by passing a lambda?

I'm not sure we need that just yet.

 > Also, would the best place to define this function be inside a
 > container class?

For now, just put it as a static helper at the top of OpenMPOpt. It
takes the initial functions, the container, and the call graph. Since we
might need it for the old and new pass manager call graph we might need
to wrap parts of the call graph in a lambda. E.g., a way to iterate all
call sites in a given function.

Feel free to start with a simple approach and we go from there. Also
keep asking questions :)

Cheers,
   Johannes