[llvm-dev] Upgrading LLVM's minimum required CMake version

Siva Chandra via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 26 22:18:54 PDT 2020

Thanks for this excellent summary of CMake release notes. This makes it
really easy for me to point out what we use in LLVM-libc and make a case
for the minimum version of 3.12.

CMake 3.9 (released July 18th 2017):
> * TARGET_OBJECTS generator expression support in add_custom_command and
> file(GENERATE)

This.

> CMake 3.11 (released March 28th 2018):
> * add_library() and add_executable() can be called without sources as long
> as target_sources() is used later

This.

> CMake 3.12 (released July 17th 2018):
> * target_link_libraries() supports object libraries and propagates usage
> requirements

This.

> CMake 3.13 (released November 20th 2018):
> * target_link_directories() and target_link_options() commands to set link
> options instead of awkwardly having to use target_link_libraries() for this
> purpose

We don't currently use this, but using this will allow us to eliminate some
of the awkwardness that is present currently. So, this is not a necessity,
but nice to have.