[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Switching from Bugzilla to Github Issues

Hubert Tong via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 25 19:38:14 PDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 7:41 PM Tom Stellard via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 03/16/2020 07:53 AM, Aaron Ballman wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:44 AM Tom Stellard via cfe-dev
> > <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> keep all the blockers in one place?

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> 10.0.0-rc4 was just released, and I think we are at the point in the
> release cycle
> >> where it is safe to begin the migration to GitHub issues.
> >>
> >> I would like to propose doing the migration in one week (March 23).
> This means
> >> making the existing bugzilla read-only, and updating the documentation
> to tell users
> >> to file issues at GitHub.  We are still trying to figure out the best
> way to import bugs
> >> from bugzilla into GitHub, so this step will be done at a later date.
> >>
> >> For the initial list of tags, I propose we generate the list based on
> the most commonly
> >> used categories in bugzilla.  This should be enough to get us started
> and we can always
> >> add more tags as we go.
> >>
> >> I've also implemented a notification system using GitHub actions that
> will make
> >> it possible to subscribe to individual issue tags, so we would enable
> this on Monday
> >> as well.
> >>
> >> What does everyone think?
> >
> > I am uncomfortable switching to GitHub issues unless the initial
> > result is that we have ONE set of bugs to track (I do not want to have
> > to search and maintain separate bug lists). Moving bugs from Bugzilla
> > at an unspecified future time is a deal-breaker for me, so -1.
>
> Is there anything we could do to make having active issues in both
> trackers easier to deal with?

You asked for if there was "anything". I am not sure how feasible a unified
full text search and view portal would be. Also, I had already suggested
that there should be an agreed convention on how to refer to bugs in
either. If GitHub issues are not uniquely numbered across "projects"
(meaning non-monorepo projects get their own "namespace"), then that
convention might be ugly.