[llvm-dev] Status of Intel JCC Mitigations and Next Steps

Eli Friedman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 25 14:22:43 PDT 2020

I agree we shouldn’t try to guess what the user is trying to do.  There shouldn’t be an unbounded set of heuristic rules; “documented” implies some sort of promise of stability in addition to the actual text in the manual.  And we shouldn’t try to guess whether the user’s code cares about the length of a specific instruction.

I think you’re creating a false dichotomy here, though.  There’s some space between “the assembler can rewrite any instruction” and “the assembler should guess what the user is doing”.  The patches you’re referring to are dealing with a very specific issue: there are multiple ways users specify prefixes for certain instructions.  Sometimes the prefixes are integrated into the instruction.  Sometimes they’re written separately, like “rep; stosb”. And sometimes users end up using raw “.byte” directives.  So we add a rule: if we see something that looks like a prefix, followed by an instruction, we assume the combination might actually be a prefixed instruction, and don’t rewrite it.  This is a heuristic in some sense: we can’t prove whether the prefixed instruction will ever execute at runtime.  But adding prefixes to the instruction is likely problematic.

We could take a different tack on this: instead of giving up pure “strictness”, we could instead give the user a diagnostic on patterns we recognize.  But forcing users to rewrite “rep;stosb”->“rep stosb” doesn’t seem productive.
-Eli