[llvm-dev] [GlobalISel] Narrowing uneven/non-pow-2 types

Dominik Montada via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 24 09:24:42 PDT 2020

Hi all,

recently when working with GlobalISel we have often encountered cases in
the legalizer where instructions could not be narrowed because the
narrowing code relies on G_UNMERGE_VALUES and therefore requires the
source type to be a multiple of the narrow type. Often times these
instructions can be widened without any problem to a fitting type.

This has us writing legalization rules like `.widenScalarToNextPow2(0,
/*MinSize*/ 32).maxScalar(0, s32)` instead of the much simpler
`.clampScalar(0, s32 ,s32)`.

Although this works and has the desired effect, we feel like that such a
rule requires internal knowledge of the legalizer, which can change at
any point in the future. Ideally we would only want to say `clampScalar`
and let the legalizer handle the rest, even if it requires extending the
type before it can be narrowed.

We were now wondering if such a behavior in the legalizer is even
desired? I.e. that an instruction is extended to an easier-to-handle
type even though narrowing was requested (as long as the narrowing is
done in the end)?

Would be great to get some feedback so we know whether we can start
adding support for some instructions or if we just need to rewrite some
of our legalization rules using the internal knowledge.

Regards,

Dominik

Dominik Montada                   Email: dominik.montada at hightec-rt.com
HighTec EDV-Systeme GmbH          Phone: +49 681 92613 19
Europaallee 19                    Fax:   +49-681-92613-26
D-66113 Saarbrücken               WWW: http://www.hightec-rt.com

Managing Director: Vera Strothmann
Register Court: Saarbrücken, HRB 10445, VAT ID: DE 138344222

you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately
and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or
---