[llvm-dev] [GSOC] "Project: Improve inter-procedural analyses and optimisations"

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 19 14:35:38 PDT 2020

On 3/18/20 7:47 PM, Fahad Nayyar wrote:
 > Hi Johannes,
 >
 > Thanks for your comments!
 >
 >     > I think the AAReachability TODO is being worked on but #179
not, as far as I know. Would you be interested in taking this one? If
so, make sure to split it in multiple smaller patches, starting with one
for the LangRef.doc and the Attributor.

 > Sure!. I can take this up. I'll put up the patches asap. I have a
 > doubt about #task1 of #179 "Write a short RFC for a the attribute and
 > send it to llvm-dev". What kind of description of the attribute should
 > I put there? I was thinking about the meaning of the attribute and its
 > purpose. Please clarify.

Yes. Feel free to share a draft with me. If you want I can also write
the RFC but it might take longer. My suggestion that you write a short
motivation for the attribute and the intended semantics and share that
on this thread. We go over it and send it out as an RFC after. You
should at the same time write/port the LangRef patch so we can point
people there.

 >     > FIWI, I think we want the attribute to mean 1) below. I note this
 >     because 2) is "the opposite" of dereferenceable.
 >       1) the underlying object is at most this large, where the pointer
 >          points to doesn't matter.
 >       2) the underlying object has at most X more dereferenceable
bytes from
 >          this point forward.
 >     I think we want 1) and later the opposite of 1) as well.
 >     Does this make sense?
 >
 > Yes. I understood this. Just for clarification the opposite of 1)
will be "the underlying object is at least this large"?

Yes. Which we for now can approximate with `dereferenceable` as it says,
there are at least that many bytes accessible from the current pointer.