[llvm-dev] GSoC 2020 Project "Improve MegreFunctions to incorporate MergeSimilarFunctions patches and ThinLTO Support"

Vishal Chebrolu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 19 10:50:31 PDT 2020

Hey Aditya,

I'm planning to apply the patches one after the other to the LLVM trunk and
then do "arc diff" to merge all the 5 patches together. However, being a
newbie to LLVM code-review system, I'm stuck at applying the 2nd patch. I
applied the 1st patch to the LLVM trunk using the "arc patch Dxxxx" command
and it worked fine. When I try to run the same command with the ID of the
2nd patch, I run into the error as given here:
https://secure.phabricator.com/T12501.
I don't know whether that issue was fixed or there's some way around. I
also tried deleting the branch created by patching the 1st patch and tried
to install the 2nd patch (D52898) from the master branch. I expected the
2nd patch to also commit the 1st patch as there's a dependency between
them. Even that throws the following error after applying the 1st patch
(D52896):

Cherry Pick Failed!
Exception
Command failed with error #1!
COMMAND
git cherry-pick -- 'arcpatch-D52896'

STDOUT
(empty)

STDERR
warning: inexact rename detection was skipped due to too many files.
warning: you may want to set your merge.renamelimit variable to at least
8313 and retry the command.
error: could not apply ca94adea8e6... MergeSimilarFunctions 1/n: a code
size pass to merge functions with small differences
hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
hint: with 'git add <paths>' or 'git rm <paths>'
hint: and commit the result with 'git commit'

(Run with `--trace` for a full exception trace.)

I tried running with the --trace option. That doesn't help much either.
I see that the cherry-pick failed cause there were unstaged files after
committing the first patch.

Regards,
Vishal