[llvm-dev] GSoC Opportunity

Stefanos Baziotis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 18 02:39:17 PDT 2020

Hi to both,

> I'm not applying for GSoC but that's a hint if other students are
applying to help them get started.
Yes I agree, thanks for bringing up the topic.

>  On a more serious note, how do I know what issue can be solved in a
reasonable amount of time/how do I search for one?
 Well, usually you don't. If you're lucky, someone will be able to provide
you with some issues that you can get started with in the part of LLVM that
you're interested
(independent of GSoC or not). If you can't get such an answer, then one
thing you can try is search for TODOs and FIXMEs and see if you can tackle
any of those.

>  He also suggested that I ask if another student has already submitted a
proposal for this one, and if so, to look for another llvm project within
the given time remaining.
In the discussion I posted above, you can see that probably there's another
person interested.

But of course multiple people can apply to the same project. Realistically
speaking, you should apply where you think you have a chance, so that you
can
devote time that is useful in the end for both parties.

One important thing though is: If you're interested in LLVM, start whether
you'll get a proposal or not.
GSoC is good because it motivates people to start contributing to a project
even if they don't get GSoC in the end. And in the long run that's
more important (and not only because the next year it will be way easier to
get a GSoC).

Best,
Stefanos Baziotis

Στις Τετ, 18 Μαρ 2020 στις 8:51 π.μ., ο/η Benson Bin Bin Li <
bbl2117 at columbia.edu> έγραψε: