[llvm-dev] GSoC Opportunity

Benson Bin Bin Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Mar 15 20:12:28 PDT 2020

Hi Stefanos,

First, thanks a lot for the very detailed response! I watched both of the
videos, and I seem to have a rough idea now of how each of the different
pieces of software maps onto the compilation process. Though I found blogs
such as these two: https://jonasdevlieghere.com/understanding-the-clang-ast/,
https://releases.llvm.org/2.6/docs/tutorial/JITTutorial1.html to be better
for a more in-depth understanding. Anyways, in response to your answers:

The latter can even be problematic if you start applying C++ craziness
> while the first is pretty much always needed when working in a team project.

Ok, that makes sense as you would want the style to be consistent
throughout.

running the LLVM suite is super easy

Yeah, everything went fine from following your instructions. I do have a
question though: How do I diagnose failed tests? I found the files that
correspond to them, and they seem to be 1 line scripts rather than "code"
per say.

But I think every good GSoC proposal includes a biography-like section

Then, try to study it, understand the context and the problem.

But because submitting good patches is one of the best indicators

Ok, so for the application process, basically try to get more info on the
projects I am interested in and from there submit a proposal? Given the
whole coronavirus situation and the time remaining for the application, I
probably do not have the time to get a patch through. Regarding the
projects I am interested in, I have narrowed it down to two(mostly because
I don't think I have the ability to tackle PostDominatorTree project as of
now), and have the following questions about them:

LLVM Pass

   1.

   I am following the guide to create a LLVM pass following this guide(
   https://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html), but it appears
   “add_llvm_library” is a macro and not a built-in command. So I have two
   questions. 1) In comparing the online repo I found this macro in and my
   local, it appears I don’t have the file. Do I need to build it then? 2) How
   do I tell CMake to look for this macro?
   2.

   Is there a specific section of the dragon book that I should read so
   that I can at least understand theoretically what it means to create a
   LoopNestPass?

LLDB Tab Completion

   1.

   Is there any resource I can read that explains how lldb is able to
   “pause” the executable and map it to a certain line in the source file/in
   general how lldb represents the state of the executable?
   2.

   Where in the source code can I go to see how existing tab completions
   are implemented?
   3. I built lldb and check-lldb, but it seems that the call path to clang
   got messed up, as it is trying to call "Example=Code/llvm-project" rather
   than my actual name for the directory "Example-Code/llvm-project". Should I
   just clone the repo into a parent directory that doesn't use hyphen?

(Would it be better if I posted this on the forum?)

Best regards,
Benson