[llvm-dev] [GSOC] "Project: Improve inter-procedural analyses and optimisations"

Fahad Nayyar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 13 15:04:49 PDT 2020

Dear Stefanos,

Thanks for such a quick response! And thanks for answering my questions!

> Starting off, understanding the theory of data-flow analysis can help.

I know about some standard fix-point lattice-based data flow analysis like
reaching definitions, live variable analysis, etc. I have done a
course on “Program
analysis” at my college.

> The deduction of these attributes is inter-connected, which is the whole
point of the Attributor.

Thanks for explaining this part with the example!

> I'd suggest that you try to run the Attributor and follow a specific
attribute's updates and see what it tries to deduce. That is, see its
updateImpl().

Thanks for suggesting this! I will try to do this and get back to you.

> At this point, LLVM is focused on heavy inlining, which while very
useful, you'll lose a lot of the interprocedural information.

I see. It would be great if we can come up with some specific examples
where using these deduced attributes can improve existing inter and intra
procedural optimization passes. I am very interested to work towards
exploring this potential of Attributor. So I would try to include such
examples in my GSOC proposal.

> Liveness is certainly something that we're currently trying to improve
and I don't think we'll ever stop.

It would be great if you can share some of the ongoing issues or discussion
regarding improving Liveness information deduction using Attributor.

Thanks and regards

Fahad Nayyar