[llvm-dev] per-operand scheduling model help

Jay Foad via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 11 03:48:48 PDT 2020

I'm trying to use the per-operand scheduling model (i.e. setting SchedRW =
[...] in my instruction definitions) to model an in-order CPU and finding
it a bit awkward. I wonder if there's anything I'm missing, or a better way
to do this?

This is for various subtargets of the AMDGPU backend. They are in-order and
issue one instruction per cycle, but instructions can execute on different
pipelines and may take multiple cycles to execute. For example ADD might
execute in 1 cycle on the normal ALU pipe, FMA might take 2 cycles on a
dedicated FMA pipe, and SQRT might take 4 cycles and use both pipes.
Typically all instructions have an additional few cycles of latency before
the result can be used by another instruction.

For instructions with exactly one def operand it's fairly easy. I can use a
single WriteRes that defines ProcResources and ResourceCycles and Latency.

For instructions with two defs, like an ADD that also produces a carry-out
in a condition register, it gets awkward. I can use two WriteRes's where
the first one defines the resources needed to execute the instruction and
the second one doesn't, it just defines the latency of the second result.
But by default every WriteRes has NumMicroOps = 1, so now the scheduler
thinks my instruction has two micro-ops which will take two cycles to
issue, which is not what I wanted at all. I can set NumMicroOps = 0 in the
second WriteRes, but it feels like I'm abusing the per-operand model to
define properties (lie ProcResources and ResourceCycles) that are really
per-opcode, not per-operand. Doing it per-operand also means that I end up
defining two orthogonal sets of SchedWrite classes, one to use for the
first def operand and one to use for the second and subsequent def operands.

Even worse, how do I model the resources needed to execute instructions
like stores that have no defs?

Thanks for any help,
Jay.