[llvm-dev] Adding accelerator tables to existing linked DWARF files

Alexey Lapshin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 3 13:33:51 PST 2020

3/3/2020 12:48 AM, Greg Clayton via llvm-dev пишет:

> [...]
>>> This will help us benchmark how much accelerator tables can improve
>>> the debugging experience as debuggers don't need to manually index
>>> all of the debug info during debugging.
>> Is it for ELF, Mach-O, wasm, COFF, or any of the combinations?
>
> Yes, for any object files that LLVM currently supports. But I am
> looking to support ELF first as MachO already has these tables
> available since dsymutil already creates either Apple or DWARF
> accelerator tables. COFF and Wasm can come later.
>

>>> Looking at how accelerator tables are currently emitted, they seem
>>> to be built up as DWARF is being created or linked, and then emitted
>>> using a subclass of DWARFEmitter. The only subclass if this right
>>> now that I see is one in dsymutil which ends up emitting everything
>>> using an AsmPrinter by eventually emitAppleAccelTable(...) from
>>> llvm/include/llvm/CodeGen/AccelTable.h.
>>>
>>> I spoke briefly with Shoaib on this subject and he suggested adding
>>> code to llvm-objcopy. I briefly looked through the code and from
>>> what I can tell, llvm-objcopy doesn't seem to have any DWARF
>>> abilities other than compressing DWARF sections. If we do add
>>> functionality to llvm-objcopy, are we ok pulling in DebugInfoDWARF
>>> and the LLVM object model? AFAICT the code for this tools has its
>>> own object file layer which doesn't match the full layer inside of
>>> LLVM (llvm::ObjectFile and DWARFContext). Also, no AsmPrinter
>>> objects are used in this codebase either.
>>
>> llvm-objcopy supports various ad-hoc binary manipulation features
>> where each feature does a very
>> simple task. Neither llvm-objcopy nor GNU objcopy knows DWARF.
>> --strip-debug,
>> --compress-debug-sections, --add-gnu-debuglink and --only-keep-debug
>> have "debug" in their names but
>> these features don't need to parse DWARF. (GNU objcopy has a
>> --debugging but that only works for
>> a.out and coff, not elf).
>>
>> Do we have a more suitable tool for such debugging functionality?
>> dsymutil for ELF?
>
> dsymutil is such a tool, but it uses the llvm::ObjectFile layer and
> the llvm targets, so if you open a file that contains "armv7"
> architecture and the ARM target hasn't been built into your bistro, it
> will fail to open this binary with an error that says:
>
> No available targets are compatible with triple "arm-unknown-unknown"
>
> I ran into this with a recent gsym patch that is trying to fix the
> buildbots for testing, but it fails when the ARM targets are not
> enabled and I try to load the DWARF from an object file:
>
> http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/llvm-clang-lld-x86_64-scei-ps4-ubuntu-fast/builds/63473/steps/test-check-all/logs/stdio
>
> And this is part of the reason for this email. I would love to not
> require llvm-gsymutil to require all LLVM targets to be there.
> DebugInfoDWARF doesn't need the targets, it just needs to know address
> byte size and endianness and it can parse the debug info in the DWARF.

Hi Greg,  dsymutil code was recently refactored so that it`s linking
part was moved into lib/DWARFLinker library.

As an advantage, it allows making DWARFLinker to not depend on
ObjectFile : https://reviews.llvm.org/D75029 .

It might make sense that your tool uses DWARFLinker library(probably
extending it with new functionality) to work with DWARF.

Alexey.