[llvm-dev] Bootstrapping clang

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 2 13:33:35 PST 2020

Hi Evandro,

Sorry for my delay in responding.

When you start building the runtime libraries as part of your distribution things start to get complex very quickly, but we do have some in-tree examples that can lead the way. The Fuchsia CMake cache files in the clang directory are probably the best starting point.

In my experience building your first stage as a pretty straight forward release build is usually the best bet. Spending too much time optimizing the compiler that you're just going to throw away doesn't seem to pay off in the bootstrap build cycle.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

-Chris