[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Phabricator Maintenance

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 30 13:38:18 PDT 2020

I want to bubble out of this discussion, because most of the conversation has been about merit of various tools, how much the cloud license costs, etc.

In my opinion, none of this actually matters.  There are much larger strategic questions that we should be talking about instead:

1) Why is LLVM special?  We are a tiny community compared to the larger GitHub community - anything that makes us “weird” (even if weird is better in some ways) increases impedance mismatch, reduces collaboration with other communities etc.  Many users of LLVM are already using GitHub for code reviews and PRs etc.

2) Why should compiler nerds :-) be working on this sort of infrastructure?  We have many talented people who are capable of doing many impressive things, why spent that energy on this?

3) Even if someone is willing to keep this going, what ongoing liability is this for the project as a whole?  Phabricator was done for the weekend, did someone’s pager go off?  What is the SLA/SLO for the new system?

As I mentioned upthread, I like Phabricator and its workflow from a personal perspective, but from a project perspective, I can’t see any reason to defend bespoke infra like this.

-Chris