[llvm-dev] [RFC] Compiled regression tests.

Joel E. Denny via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 28 11:42:28 PDT 2020

Hi Michael,

You propose using the preprocessor for mixing C++ test code with its input
code, such as LLVM IR.  Of course, LIT, FileCheck, `clang -verify`, and
unit tests all enable mixing their various forms of test code with input
code.  To my eyes, a difference between unit tests vs. LIT, FileCheck, and
`clang -verify` tests is that the latter tend to make the input code more
prominent (I prefer that) and make it easier to clarify which test code is
associated with which input code.  So far, I think the preprocessor
approach is better in this regard than unit tests, but what about a more
familiar syntax, like the following?

```
// RUN-CXX: #include "compiledtestboilerplate.h"
// RUN-CXX: unique_ptr<Module> Output = run_opt("%s",
"-passes=loop-vectorize");

// RUN-CXX: /* Check func1 Output */
define void @func1() {
entry:
  ret
}

// RUN-CXX: /* Check func2 Output */
define void @func2() {
entry:
  ret
}
```

It seems it should be feasible to automate extraction of the `RUN-CXX:`
code for compilation and for analysis by clang-format and clang-tidy.
Perhaps there would be a new script that extracts at build time for all
such uses.  But there are other possibilities that could be considered: a
LIT extension for `RUN-CXX:`, C++ JIT compilation, a clang-format-diff.py
extension that greps modified files for `RUN-CXX:`, etc.

LIT, FileCheck, and `RUN-CXX:` directives should then be able to co-exist
in a single test file.  Thus, you might incrementally add `RUN-CXX:`
directives to test files that already contain LIT and FileCheck directives
to handle cases where FileCheck directives are difficult to use.  You could
keep the FileCheck directives when they are more reasonable, or you could
eventually replace them.  You might run `opt` once with a `RUN:` directive
and then check its output `.ll` file with both `RUN-CXX:` and FileCheck
directives (maybe all `RUN:` directives execute before all `RUN-CXX:`
directives, or maybe C++ JIT compilation would permit them to execute in
the order specified).

It's not clear to me whether the above idea is worth the trouble, but I
think I'd at least prefer the syntax to the preprocessor approach.

I also have a vague feeling that something like this has been discussed
before.  If so, please just point me to the discussion.

In any case, thanks for working to improve LLVM's testing infrastructure.

Joel