[llvm-dev] RFC: Sanitizer-based Heap Profiler

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 24 19:33:25 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 6:26 PM Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> Hi, Teresa,
>
> This looks really useful.
>
> It seems like this general infrastructure could be useful for diagnosing
> places where we have a lot of false sharing too.

This is mostly already covered in the current proposal -- except that
tracking granularity can not tell the difference between true vs false
sharing. The rich contexts provided, however, will enable users to quickly
identify if there is  a real issue.

> This could be between cores, sockets, or devices. Looking forward,
> especially with HMM and support under Linux for transparent unified memory
> between CPUs and accelerators, I anticipate we'll end up looking for places
> where some data accesses are causing undesired page migrations. Between
> cores and sockets, the interesting granularity is probably a cache line
> (and it looks like this is what you have anyway). This seems similar to me,
> the only difference being that we need to increment the count, not on every
> access, but only when the relevant entity id is different from the last one
> that accessed the relevant memory region.

This can be controlled under an instrumentation time option, I think.

David