[llvm-dev] Renaming passes

Arthur Eubanks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 24 11:13:17 PDT 2020

Hi,

As part of new pass manager work, I've been trying to get something like
`opt -foo` working under the NPM, where `foo` is the name of a pass.

In the past there's been no reason to keep the names of passes consistent
between NPM and legacy PM. But now there is a reason to make them match, so
that we don't have to touch every single test that uses `opt`.

There are a couple of names that don't match though, for example the "basic
alias analysis" pass is named "basicaa" under the legacy PM
INITIALIZE_PASS_BEGIN(BasicAAWrapperPass, "basicaa",
                      "Basic Alias Analysis (stateless AA impl)", true,
true)
but named "basic-aa" under the NPM
FUNCTION_ALIAS_ANALYSIS("basic-aa", BasicAA())
. Almost all the other AA passes have a dash in them so I think it makes
sense to rename "basicaa" -> "basic-aa".

Is there accepted wisdom on renaming pass names? Is a pass name a stable
interface? When is it ok to rename a pass? If there are 800 usages of a
flag, should I rename them atomically?