[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

ardi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 20 05:33:21 PDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 1:42 AM antlists via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 19/06/2020 12:56, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> > I never associated any of those words with their negative
> > connotations, either, but this is because of my upbringing and some of
> > the privileges I enjoy from our broken society.
> >
> > I always associated the word "master" as reverential, like with
> > martial arts, Jedi kind of thing. And to me, "white" and "black" (on
> > list, hat) had to do with day and night (when the monsters come out).
> >
> > But I'm also painfully aware that small amends to our mental model
> > could improve the lives of many people. Every little bit counts.
>
> AOL.
>
> As an *English* speaker (as in "not American"), I also see "master" as -
> not exactly reverential - but as a leader (or a youngster - the
> diminutive of Mister).
>
> And reading the link against it, almost the first post I read was an
> African American saying that a lot of this was totally irrelevant to
> him, and was a lot of white people speaking on his behalf without
> actually bothering to ask him what *he* wanted.
>
> If changing terminology makes things clearer (and I think it does here,
> especially for non-native speakers), then I'm all for it, but not just
> because the Americans are trying to solve their political angst.
>
> ALL words have overtones, and all the variations of
> English/American/Strine/Pidgin/Whatever-else-I-can't-name make life very
> difficult. I was never able to participate properly when the subject of
> race came up on Groklaw - "black" was seen as an offensive and banned
> word, and of course I can't use the phrase "African American". The
> equivalent here if I said "African Brit" stinks of an accusation of "you
> traitor!" They're not Africans, they're Caribbeans or Nigerians, or or
> or. And many Africans are White South Africans, and some Caribbeans
> (like me) are also white.
>
> How many people here remember Michael Portillo's "Cricket Test" for
> whether you are English (the joke here being *he* was of Spanish descent).
>
> So please do things for sound *technical* reasons, and sod the
> Politically Correct. That's usually an excuse for oppression by the
> Morally Superior.

Indeed. In over 35 years developing software, I've never thought of
"master" with that connotation. Why not rename "race condition" too?
Or the sleep() C function? Or even better, why don't we get rid of all
our languages and start a new one? Or why don't we erase History? This
is not about race, because most African friends I have tell me they
prefer in fact the "black" word. It's not about race, but about using
race for another purpose.

This is now an over 64 posts thread now. In the meantime, no threads
on improving the 7%-10% compile time slowdown reported for 10.0.0. I
fully understand Rafael Ávila de Espíndola leaving and I sympathise
100%.

ardi