[llvm-dev] Phabricator Maintenance

Manuel Klimek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 10:25:47 PDT 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020, 18:55 Hubert Tong, <hubert.reinterpretcast at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 12:32 PM Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Just my 2 cents here: we are working on enabling this as a part of
>> bugzilla migration as PRs and issues are very tied inside GitHub. Stay
>> tuned for updates!
>>
> I am not aware that the previous long thread about usage of GitHub PRs in
> place of Phabricator reviews got anywhere near the point where the option
> of Phabricator reviews was being dropped. The original post on this thread
> indicated interest in not maintaining Phabricator. How does that affect the
> availability of Phabricator? Does this mean that the community is going to
> move to GitHub PRs because the choice of Phabricator is being taken away?

I don't think the choice is being taken away, but somebody who believes the
cost is worth it has to be willing and able to take on the cost. I can see
that that might feel the same if you'd prefer phab but can't shoulder the
investment, but I think it's an important difference.

We got Phab back in the day when I started to work on clang and decided
that it's not a good use of my time to do email code reviews (and I had to
fight a cultural battle to get it :) if somebody thinks the diff of GitHub
PR to Phab is worth the ongoing investment & security risks, I'm very happy
to hand it over.