[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

Keane, Erich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 07:46:19 PDT 2020

If the name of our branch causes anxiety/difficulty for a significant portion of our population, it is literally the least we can do to choose a word that better respects the last few centuries of world history.

That said, I kinda hate 'main' as it is my stand-in for 'how to describe the active branch in an upstream/downstream', so it'll lead to some confusing conversations.  That said, it seems the programming community has already chosen main as the replacement, so I guess I'll have to just figure out that 'Main is on first' a couple times in the next few months.