[llvm-dev] FileCheck

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 01:28:14 PDT 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:41 AM Chris Lattner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Matt Arsenault <arsenm2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 14:32, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> 2) Instead of dumping the entire input by default, would it be reasonable
> to change the default “make check” to have  FileCheck print the 10 lines
> before and after the mismatch?  Most problems are close by the check
> failure.  If you want to check extra fancy, dump the CHECK-LABEL region.
>

> In my experience, the entire CHECK-LABEL region is still way too much
> (e.g. MIR tests print a giant block of function information in the prolog).
> There needs to be a stricter line count clamping of some kind
>

> Sure, what I’m actually advocating here is a pile of heuristics that work
> well for humans: e.g. dump the label region if it is 20 lines or less.  If
> it is large, then look at where the last match and the fuzzy next match
> are, and include that, .. etc.  FileCheck has a lot of information that
> we’re not using and some elbow grease could make the default experience way
> nicer for humans.

+1
That's what came out of the discussion in the revision as well. Getting the
LABEL region (or some limited context) would likely be the ideal behavior.
I looked into this last week but I suspect it requires some refactoring
first, I may have time to look again next week if no one beats me to it.
I can see how having the failing CHECKs displayed after the input can be
useful as well!

--
Mehdi