[llvm-dev] Codifying our Brace rules-

Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 16 10:23:27 PDT 2020

I used to agree with the “always put braces unless it fits on a single line” camp, but it turns out that it’s really hard to break in a debugger on `statement;` if you write it `if (cond) statement;`

Personally, I’m in the “always put braces” camp. I think the many advantages to this approach have been stated by many people in this thread. The sole (that I’ve seen mentioned) disadvantage is “clutter”. However, I think in practice you learn to ignore the excess braces, especially since we write them like this:

```
if (foo) {
   bar;
} else if (baz) {
   quux;
}
```

That’s only one more line than:

```
if (foo)
   bar;
else if (baz)
   quux;
```

I had never mentioned anything because I have traumatic memories of endless arguments about coding style at previous orgs, but I would personally be strongly be in favor of the rule being “always put braces for the bodies of branches and loops”. Regardless, I think for the purposes of a body being “trivial”, comments on their own line, or statements broken across multiple lines should not be considered trivial:

```
if (foo)
   return nullptr; // this body is trivial

if (foo)
   // this body is no longer trivial
   return nullptr;

if (bar)
   GlobalState =
      doTheThing(this, body, is, no, longer, trivial);
```

Thanks,
   Christopher Tetreault