[llvm-dev] IRC spam

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 16 01:21:50 PDT 2020

Hey folks,

Those of us who are still connected to the IRC channel surely have
noticed spam accounts posting random (machine generated?) garbage.
Moderators ban the nicks, but obviously, random ones come back.

Keeping on banning won't work. At Linaro, the somewhat controversial
move of requiring only registered users to join worked as a deterrent,
but the annoyance of registering may make less savvy users avoid the
channel.

Moving on to another platform (like Discord) will surely alienate a
good part of the community (myself included), but so will letting the
spam accounts run free (I'm almost giving up on the channel).

I don't know automated spam filtering for IRC (banning bots?), but we
usually "speak garbage" ourselves (aka pasting code), so false
positive rates will be high.

Anyone got better ideas?

cheers,
--renato