[llvm-dev] [Debuginfo][DWARF][LLD] Remove obsolete debug info in lld.

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 15 20:04:09 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 2:31 PM Alexey Lapshin <alapshin at accesssoftek.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> David>cause the DWARF to refer to the singular function if that function is
> >> David>identical, and if it isn't, then you get 0 - so there's /something/ in
> >> David>the linker that can adjust for deduplicating identical duplicates... )
> >>
> >> Probably I was a bit unclear: the above idea is not for types
> >> (placed in COMDAT sections) deduplicated by the linker.
>
> >Yeah, I was just wondering whether it could be useful for that too.
>
> >> This idea goes in another direction than fragmenting dwarf
> >> using elf sections&tricks. It seems to me that the cost of fragmenting is too high.
>
> >I tend to agree - but I'm sort of leaning towards trying to use object
> >features as much as possible, then implementing just enough custom
> >handling in the linker to recoup overhead, etc. (eg: add some kind of
> >small header/brief description that makes it easy for the linker to
> >slice-and-dice - but hopefully a domain-specific such header can be a
> >bit more compact than the fully general ELF form)
>
> I think this indeed should be implemented and evaluated.
> So that various approaches could be compared.
>
> >> It is not only the sizes of structures describing fragments but also the complexity
> >> of tools that should be taught to work with fragmented DWARF.
> >> (f.e. llvm-dwarfdump applied to object file should be able to read fragmented DWARF,
> >> but applied to linked executable it should work with non-fragmented DWARF).
> >> That idea is for the tool which works the same way as dsymutil ODR.
> >>
> >> I will shortly describe the idea of making DWARF be easier processed by dsymutil/DWARFLinker:
> >>
> >> The idea is to have only one "type table" per object file(special section .debug_types_table).
> >> This "type table" would contain all types.
> >> There could be a special type of reference - type_offset - that offset points into the type table.
> >> Basic types could always be placed into the start of "type table" thus, offsets to basic types
> >> most often would be 1 byte. There also would be a special kind of reference - reference inside the type.
> >> Type units sig8 system - would not be used to reference types.
> >>
> >> Types deduplication is assumed to be done, not by linker mechanism for COMDAT,
> >> but by a tool like dsymutil. This tool would create resulting .debug_types_table by putting there
> >> types from source .debug_types_table-s. Only one copy of the type would be placed into the
> >> resulting table. All references pointing to the deleted copy would be corrected to point
> >> to the single copy inside "type table". (that is how dsymutil works currently)
>
> >^ that's the step that's probably a bit expensive for a general-use
> >tool - it implies parsing all the DWARF to find those references and
> >rewrite them, I think. For a high-performance solution that could be
> >run by the linker I think it'd be necessary to have a solution that
> >doesn't involve parsing all the DIEs.
>
> According to the current dsymutil processing,
> exactly this process is not the most time-consuming.

Fair enough - though I'd still imagine any solution that involves
parsing all the DIEs still wouldn't be fast enough (maybe an order of
magnitude faster than the current solution even - but that's stuill,
what, 6 or 7x slower than linking without the feature?) for most users
to consider it a good tradeoff.

> Anyway, I think the dsymutil approach is still valuable, and it
> would be useful to optimize it.
> Do you think it would be useful to make dsymutil/DWARFLinker truly multi-thread?
> (To make dsymutil/DWARFLinker able to process each object file in a separate thread)

Perhaps - that I'd probably leave up to the folks who are more
invested in dsymutil (Adrian Prantl et al). Maybe one day we'll get it
integrated into llvm-dwp and then I'll be interested in getting as
much performance out of it as lld - so multithreading and things would
be on the books.

> >One way to do that would be to have a CU-local type indirection table.
> >DIEs reference local type numbers (like local address/string numbers -
> >addrx/strx/rnglistx) and that table contains either sig8 (no linker
> >fixups required) or the local type offsets you describe - the linker
> >would then only need to read this type number indirection table and
> >rewrite them to the final type numbers.
>
> Yes, that could be additionally done if this process would be time-consuming.
>
> David, thank you for all your comments and explanations. They are extremely helpful.

Sure thing - really appreciate your patience with all this - it's... a
lot of moving parts.

- Dave