[llvm-dev] Fwd: I cannot change value of global variable in LLVM IR using IRBuilder

Emma Luciano via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 3 23:03:54 PDT 2020

Hi,

I understood that I have been incrementing that global variable the whole
time, but printing wrong stuff. I added missing load of global variable and
now I am passing the loaded value to printf function.
Code looks like this and works fine:

Instruction* InstructionVisitor::getGlobalValue(Instruction* I,
StringRef Name) {
    IRBuilder<> Builder(I->getContext());
    Builder.SetInsertPoint(I->getNextNode());
    GlobalVariable* key = I->getModule()->getNamedGlobal(Name);
    if (key) {
        LoadInst* load = Builder.CreateLoad(key);
        return load;
    }
    return nullptr;}
void InstructionVisitor::visitCallInst(CallInst &CI) {
    if (isAllocationFn(&CI, &TLI)) {
        Value* allocatedAddress = &CI;
        Instruction* I = &CI;
        Value* allocatedSize = I->getOperand(0);
        Instruction* next = incrementGlobalKey(I, allocatedAddress,
allocatedSize);
        Instruction* loadKey = getGlobalValue(next, "globalKey");

        const char* message = "Allocated address: 0x%p, size: %d, key: %lld\n";
        next = print(loadKey, message, allocatedAddress,
allocatedSize, loadKey);
    }}

Thank you,
Emma Luciano