[llvm-dev] [RFC] Heterogeneous LLVM-IR Modules

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 30 10:41:08 PDT 2020

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 17:46, Johannes Doerfert
<johannesdoerfert at gmail.com> wrote:
> So we don't rewrite
> everything but instead "just" need to duplicate all the information in
> the IR such that each `opt` invocation can extract it's respective set
> of values and run on the respective set of global symbols. This would
> reduce the new stuff to more or less what we started with: device triple
> & DL, and a way to link global symbol to a device triple & DL. It is the
> two module approach but with "co-located" modules ;)

I think you're being overly optimistic in hoping the "triple+DL"
representation will be enough to emulate multi-target.

It may work for the cases you care about but it will create a host of
corner cases that the community will have to maintain with no tangible
additional benefit to a large portion of it.

But I'd like to heat the opinion of others on the subject before
making up my own mind...

--renato