[llvm-dev] Help with build

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 30 09:00:54 PDT 2020

At 7/30/2020 11:41 AM, Michael Kruse wrote:
>This looks like cmake starts processing with a wrong top-level CMakeLists.txt (llvm\docs\CMakeLists.txt). It should be <your llvm-project checkout>\llvm\CMakeLists.txt. For instance:
>
>C:\> cmake -SÂ  <your llvm-project checkout>\llvm -B C:/LLVM/Build

Thank you for responding. I'm trying to build just the LLVM documentation. Other folks suggested the following:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_ENABLE_SPHINX=On c:\llvm\llvm-project\llvm\docs

I run that command in the C:/LLVM/Build directory, which I assume then is the default for -B. Anyway, I changed my command to:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_ENABLE_SPHINX=On -S c:/llvm/llvm-project/llvm/docs -B c:/llvm/build

The result was the same:

The C compiler identification could not be found in "C:/LLVM/Build/CMakeFiles/3.18.0/CompilerIdC/a.exe"

Is it simply not possible to build anything other than top-level checkout directory?