[llvm-dev] Building a single .rst file

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 30 06:06:36 PDT 2020

At 7/29/2020 07:01 PM, Nathan James wrote:
>On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 12:40 -0400, Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev
>wrote:
>> I hope you won't mind me continuing to pester you with build
>> questions.
>>
>> I've managed to get the build going. One of the things CMake does is
>> create a file a.exe that tries to figure out which version of the C
>> compiler is available. Malwarebytes does not like that executable.
>> Has anyone run into this problem?
>>
>> Meanwhile, I've told Malwarebytes not to worry about the build
>> directory or its subdirectories.
>>
>> Ah, now I have more information from Microsoft Security Essentials,
>> also concerning a.exe. The Trojan is called Win32/Fuery.C!cl
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> Category: Trojan

>> attacker.
>>
>> Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.
>>
>> Items:
>> file:C:\LLVM\Build\CMakeFiles\3.18.0\CompilerIdC\a.exe
>>
>> Get more information about this item online.
>> ---------------------------------
>
>Completely harmless, see here.
>https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2018-June/067667.htmlhttps://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2018-June/067672.html
>Basically thats just antivirus being overly sensitive.
>A lot of antivirus software on windows complain when they see any `.exe` file which is why I find them mostly pointless.

Yes, I figured it was a false positive. This is only the second false positive I've seen in 20 years.

Windfall               Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
   Software            978 369-0839
                             www.windfall.com
My life has been filled with calamities,
some of which actually happened.
---Mark Twain

Guga 'mzimba, sala 'nhliziyo