[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

antlists via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 15 15:53:59 PDT 2020

On 15/07/2020 18:36, David Blaikie via llvm-dev wrote:
> Sounds like a Slippery Slope fallacy to me - that we choose to change
> one word doesn't mean we must change others. Clearly there are some
> words which are offensive (we wouldn't want swear words in the codebase,
> for instance) - so we're always going to have some discussion of what
> words are or are not acceptable, doesn't mean we have to accept every
> word any specific individual finds personally offensive.

I think the moderators have decided this is not technical, and this
conversation shouldn't continue.

The problem, as I see it, is we have a bunch of "professional offence
takers" who are taking offence ON BEHALF of other people. That isn't a
slippery slope fallacy - that IS a slippery slope.

Anyways, if github change things upstream, it makes sense to me to
follow them. Until then, this conversation ought to stop.

Cheers,
Wol