[llvm-dev] How to get information about data dependencies?

Stefanos Baziotis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 15 13:30:35 PDT 2020

>From what I know about Fortran (which is next to nothing), it provides
aliasing guarantees, e.g. that different rows
don't alias so yes this is important there.

A note regarding C/C++ that I was assuming, but only confirmed recently.

Any serious multi-dimensional performance code (e.g. benchmarks) is not
written with indirect pointers. E.g. if you want to do operations
on a 3-D array, the function won't get a ***A. It will get *A and then
index like A[i*n + j*m + k] (this is the same if you
take a multi-dim static array, in which indexing is lowered into the same
thing - single pointer and GEPs).

Probably the reason is what we're discussing. Because you get one pointer,
that you also mark _restrict_, and you're done.

I'm (partly) in the middle of investigating DA's role in LLVM, hopefully
something good will come out.

- Stefanos

Στις Τετ, 15 Ιουλ 2020 στις 10:17 μ.μ., ο/η David Greene <
david.greene at hpe.com> έγραψε: