[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing classes for the codegen driven by new pass manager

Chen, Yuanfang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 13 18:23:22 PDT 2020

-Yuanfang

True. Opt and codegen pipeline could make independent progress of NPM migration.

> 	* Goal-1 *
> 	https://reviews.llvm.org/D67687
>
> 	Four member methods of a machine pass are recognized by the
> machine pass manager:
> 	(1) `PreservedAnalyses run(MachineFunction &,
> MachineFunctionAnalysisManager &)`. Majority of the machine passes use
> this.
> 	(2) `Error doInitialization(Module &,
> MachineFunctionAnalysisManager &)`. Passes like AsmPrinter needs a hook
> to lower/transform global constructs. (invoked before all passes `run`
> method)
> 	(3) `Error doFinalization(Module &,
> MachineFunctionAnalysisManager &)`. Client: PrintMIRPass.  This is also for
> completeness. (invoked after all passes `run` method)
> 	(4) `Error run(Module &, MachineFunctionAnalysisManager &)`.
> Client: MachineOutliner, DebugifyMachineModule. I would call this machine
> module pass which needs a global scope. It is like (1) but subject to pass
> ordering. Currently, a pass either define this or (1), but not both.
>
> 	(doInitialization/doFinalization is currently not supported by the NPM
> optimizer pipeline because there is no real need for it.
> 	http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-
> September/126504.html)
>

> Are doInitialization/doFinalization really necessary? As mentioned in the
> previous discussion, it seems like usually the things in
> doInitialization/doFinalization are not logically in the right place.
> For example, maybe PrintMIRPass should just be a module pass, like
> PrintModulePass.

Good point! It is very likely that PrintMIRPass could be implemented with (4) above.
For AsmPrinter's uses of ` doInitialization`, I'm not 100% sure.  It looks like it could also be replaced by (4).
But difference is ` doInitialization` is invoked before all passes `run` method, whereas (4) is invoked by pass order.
I don't know if there are any implicit/subtle dependency in this regard.

It would be great to have some codegen folks to shed light on it here.

> 	* Goal-2 *
> 	https://reviews.llvm.org/D67687
>
> 	Unlike IR where `has-a` relationship exists among
> module/function/loop/cgscc etc., the MIR does not have `has-a` relationship
> with any kind of IR. It does have a one-on-one relationship with IR function.
> So, transforming MIR does not change any IR unit at all. Invalidating a MIR
> analysis result also does not invalidate any IR analysis result.
>

> 	Based on the above observation, the machine pass manager runs
> standalone, i.e. combining it with other types of pass managers using adaptor
> passes are not supported. There is also no proxy defined for machine
> analysis manager with any other types of analysis managers. The machine
> analysis manager does provide API to register and query IR analysis because
> machine passes need IR analysis result in general.
>

> Maybe this is my lack of familiarity with codegen, but why doesn't a Module
> contain all its MachineFunctions? It seems like that adaptor would be
> necessary.

Because their data structures are separated. Logically they are representations of the same/similar thing
at different abstraction level.

> 	** Testing **
> 	- Since the `llc` options are compatible, as passes are ported to NPM
> and various issues got resolved, we should see more tests passing when `llc -
> enable-new-pm` is turned on implicitly via an (maybe) knob similar to `cmake
> -DENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL_NEW_PASS_MANAGER`.
> 	- A buildbot to make sure no regression when `llc -enable-new-pm` is
> implicitly on?
> 	- Any idea on this regard is much appreciated.
>

> Manually running tests once in a while might be good enough, not sure if the
> cost of setting up a bot that maintains some sort of list of tests that have
> passed in the past is worth it. From my limited experience, tests won't really
> tend to regress under NPM as long as you have some tests explicitly testing
> NPM sprinkled around.

Sounds good. I was afraid if it takes too long to migration codegen passes, there may be regressions introduced
into IR-to-obj tests under NPM (they exercise mush more than a single or a few consecutive passes). I think it's fine to consider this in the future.