[llvm-dev] Why are GEPs type based?

Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 13 14:35:12 PDT 2020

You are right that it’s mostly a convenience for the front-ends. So they don’t have to deal with boring things like padding and sizing things.

Otherwise it adds no semantic value. Object aliasing is not field sensitive in LLVM, so it doesn’t matter. Though someone may want to add support for that in the future for languages where it’s ok to do so.

FWIW, Alive2’s GEP instruction works over bytes only (pairs of constant * %reg). Though I’m not sure I would advocate to change LLVM’s representation.

Nuno