[llvm-dev] New x86-64 micro-architecture levels

Joseph Myers via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 10 12:14:52 PDT 2020

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Florian Weimer via Gcc wrote:

> * Level A
>
> CMPXCHG16B, LAHF/SAHF, POPCNT, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSSE3
>
> This is one step above the K8 baseline and corresponds to a mainline CPU
> model ca. 2008 to 2011.  It is also implemented by recent-ish
> generations of Intel Atom server CPUs (although I haven't tested the
> latest version).  A 32-bit variant would have to list many additional
> CPU features here.

FWIW, this is also the limit of what can be run under QEMU emulation, as
QEMU lacks support for AVX and newer instruction set features.

On the other hand, virtual machines seem liable to report something closer
to the K8 baseline to the guest OS, missing the level A features, even
when the underlying hardware supports everything in level B or level C.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph at codesourcery.com