[llvm-dev] Introducing the binary-level coverage analysis tool bcov

Ammar Ben Khadra via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 8 07:25:47 PDT 2020

Hi Fangrui,

The tool "perf -pixie" is interesting indeed. However, the information
about it is sparse, as you mentioned. Judging by the statement on p89:
"Note that the execution time of an instrumented program is two-to-five
times longer than an instrumented one."  This large overhead leads me to
believe that they implemented the straightforward approach of instrumenting
every basic block with a counter. That is, they did not leverage any
optimizations. As an aside, Ball and Larus have interesting work on optimal
profiling (https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.5555/243846.243857). However, this
research line seems to be discontinued.

On the other hand, bcov focuses on coverage analysis only but leverages
several optimizations to reduce the instrumentation overhead. While
coverage analysis is less general than profiling, it is more commonly used
during software development. Additionally, I believe that the techniques
proposed in our paper, and implemented in bcov, lay the groundwork for
interesting future work that can go well beyond profiling.

- Ammar