[llvm-dev] RFC: Introducing CfgTraits and type-erased CfgInterface / CfgBlockRef / CfgValueRef

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 7 06:01:19 PDT 2020

Hi Jakub,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 6:25 AM Jakub (Kuba) Kuderski
<kubakuderski at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a lot of heavily templated code in generic DomTee construction/updater, MemSSA updater, and GraphDiff that has become really hard to modify. For the context, Alina (cc'd) was recently looking into making the domtree code work with 'CFG views'; the basic idea is to take a concrete CFG and a series of updates and create a view over this CFG, as if the updates were applied, add more updates and repeat [1]. The initial attempt was based on GraphDiff and GraphTraits over GraphDiff, but this gets prohibitively verbose very quickly and caused difficult to fix compilation time regressions related to nested fancy iterator types (something like concat<filter<pair<vector<>::iterator, T*>>, ...>) [2]. We got to the idea of trying  polymorphic iterators, which I think is kind of similar to this RFC, except that your proposal does type erasure at the bottom, while polymorphic iterators from the top. Alina should know this problem space best.

Interesting! I'm not sure what those polymorphic iterators would look like.

> I think that generic DomTree construction/updater could be rewritten to work on CfgTraits directly, while GraphDiff would provide CfgTraits directly usable by the updaters. Same with the generic IDF calculator. The biggest question for me here is how all of that would affect compilation times. What are your thoughts on more refactoring like this? How do you plan to evaluate compilation times impact of your changes?

Yes, that would be possible. And the compile time question is a big
reason why I didn't touch DomTree construction, but it's probably
worth the experiment. The main issue is iteration of predecessors /
successors.

Is it possible to run the llvm-compile-time-tracker tests on a branch
somewhere? That would be the most convenient approach as far as I'm
concerned.

Cheers,
Nicolai